At some point during The Cleanse, I tired of grilled chicken. So in an effort to change things up a bit, I reached for a pack of chicken drumsticks at the market, with visions of comfort food piled high on my plate.
Whether they were battered and fried or drowned in a BBQ sauce, recipes across the web were littered with flour or sugar, or some other ingredient I couldn’t have.
I found two recipes that looked promising. The one from Cherished Advice sounded interesting and healthy, since she boils off the skin, dye, and preservatives before broiling. I still have yet to try this method because her “season to taste” comment sent me searching for a good gluten-free, dairy-free, sugar-free, egg-free seasoning combo, which led me to discover an altogether different recipe, and lemon pepper.
Unforch, the recipe I found was for wings, not drumsticks. And grilling not baking. But I made a few adjustments and the finished product came out strong. The very unexpected lemon pepper was a big hit with my taste buds. Big. I can’t wait to make these again, without the skin. Apparently they still come out crispy! I have to try it out.
- 4-6 chicken drumsticks
- 2 tbsp lemon pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Pre-heat your oven to 375-degrees.
- Wash and pat dry your chicken.
- Brush chicken with olive oil, then roll it in, or sprinkle with, a hearty dose of lemon pepper.
- Place on a foil-covered baking sheet and bake for 40 minutes.
- Flip the chicken and bake for another 20 minutes, or until done.
- Serve with crispy kale chips and parsnip mash for dreamy comfort food at its finest.